From: Patri10629@aol.com
Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v028.n191
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:45:24 EDT

FYI: Frank Kermode is refering to the ending of Julian Barnes Magnificent and hilarious novel STARING AT THE SUN.I doubt it is a reference to Severian.The context doesn't suggest that. Though I have no idea who the caddie is meant to be literature-wise.

Patrick O'Leary

 "The British novelist Julian Barnes allows an old-style heaven, the one that
 lingers on in the popular imagination, with harps, crowns and nightshirts for
 those who want it, but declares that it is going out of fashion. The new
 heaven is a more democratic, laid-back affair, a sort of limited monarchy
 where the titular head of state does not attempt to interfere and there is
 "pleasure every way." One can have the perfect breakfast three times a
 day, with as much sex and golf as desired. (His hero has a caddie called
 Severiano, a little joke for the cognoscenti.)...."

 Do we have any of the cognoscenti here? I am completely at a loss. Is it a golf joke? An opera joke (Severiano sounds like an opera name)? A literary
 joke?

 -alga