From: "Endy" <endymion9@mindspring.com>
Subject: (urth) Re:The Beautiful Ones, They Always Hurt U
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:32:17

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BF986E.996C4F60

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000
 "Talarican" <exultnttalarican@mindspring.com> scribed

>or, Revenge of the Annese

>I take it "No Planets Strike" plays off the old legend that the animals
>present in the stable during the Nativity were briefly gifted with =
speech.

Wonder how that legend arose anyway?

>What struck me in "No Planets Strike" was what a wimpy galactic =
authority
>seems to be operating. A (shapechanging!) people who use swords they =
can't
>even make, but must obtain in trade, imprison spacegoing humans on =
their
>planet and torture them if they misbehave, and the humans cower in =
their
>starships and do nothing about it? (and keep selling them swords?!)

They want to stay alive and not be tortured.

>You can tell this isn't Typhon's empire, for sure. Typhon would send a =
squad
>of chem soldiers with slug guns, or an erentarus of  fusiliers, to =
Sidhe to
>kick Beautiful butt and take Beautiful names.

It was my understanding that no one was ever allowed to leave so Typhon =
or anyone else wouldn't know what the Beautiful Ones were doing.  It was =
a sleepy backwater planet that got few visitors who no one ever saw =
again.  Probably not worth Typhon's time if he did know about it.  I =
would expect it to be quarantined rather than attacked.

>It's as though the humans were ruled and protected by a United =
Federation of
>Planets which not only has a Prime Directive, but actually takes it
>seriously (unlike in Star Trek). Or, maybe the attraction of the =
Beautiful
>Ones is so irrestistible as to overcome the threat of military force =
(but
>chem soldiers?...)

>I wonder what the point of the Beautiful Ones' prohibition on human
>reproduction was? It seems more a parallel with the Sojourn in Egypt =
than
>the Slaughter of the Innocents. Better yet, how is it implemented? Are =
the
>humans forbidden to, um, make babies, or are any who are born =
kidnapped? The
>name "Sidhe" seems to imply a connection with the Celtic tutelary =
beings
>notorious for child-snatching. What do they do with the children they =
take?
>And surely they don't substitute a "changeling" of their own for it.

Good questions, I wonder too.

>And that miraculous child is supposed to save them?  Wonder how?

Letting other's know what is happening on the planet??

Dennis/Endy
http://home.mindspring.com/~endymion9/index.htm

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BF986E.996C4F60

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#fff8e0>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>On Sun, 26 Mar 2000<BR><FONT =
size=3D2>&nbsp;"Talarican" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:exultnttalarican@mindspring.com">exultnttalarican@mindspri=
ng.com</A>&gt;=20
scribed<BR></FONT><BR>&gt;or, Revenge of the Annese<BR><BR>&gt;I take it =
"No=20
Planets Strike" plays off the old legend that the animals<BR>&gt;present =
in the=20
stable during the Nativity were briefly gifted with =
speech.<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Wonder how that legend arose anyway?</DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><BR>&gt;What struck me in "No Planets Strike" was =
what a wimpy=20
galactic authority<BR>&gt;seems to be operating. A (shapechanging!) =
people who=20
use swords they can't<BR>&gt;even make, but must obtain in trade, =
imprison=20
spacegoing humans on their<BR>&gt;planet and torture them if they =
misbehave, and=20
the humans cower in their<BR>&gt;starships and do nothing about it? (and =
keep=20
selling them swords?!)<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>They want to stay alive and not be =
tortured.</DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><BR>&gt;You can tell this isn't Typhon's empire, for =
sure.=20
Typhon would send a squad<BR>&gt;of chem soldiers with slug guns, or an=20
erentarus of&nbsp; fusiliers, to Sidhe to<BR>&gt;kick Beautiful butt and =
take=20
Beautiful names.<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It was my understanding that no one was ever allowed =
to leave=20
so Typhon or anyone else wouldn't know what the Beautiful Ones were =
doing.&nbsp;=20
It was a sleepy backwater planet that got few visitors who no one ever =
saw=20
again.&nbsp; Probably not worth Typhon's time if he did know about =
it.&nbsp; I=20
would expect it to be quarantined rather than attacked.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><BR>&gt;It's as though the humans were ruled and =
protected by=20
a United Federation of<BR>&gt;Planets which not only has a Prime =
Directive, but=20
actually takes it<BR>&gt;seriously (unlike in Star Trek). Or, maybe the=20
attraction of the Beautiful<BR>&gt;Ones is so irrestistible as to =
overcome the=20
threat of military force (but<BR>&gt;chem soldiers?...)<BR><BR>&gt;I =
wonder what=20
the point of the Beautiful Ones' prohibition on =
human<BR>&gt;reproduction was?=20
It seems more a parallel with the Sojourn in Egypt than<BR>&gt;the =
Slaughter of=20
the Innocents. Better yet, how is it implemented? Are the<BR>&gt;humans=20
forbidden to, um, make babies, or are any who are born kidnapped?=20
The<BR>&gt;name "Sidhe" seems to imply a connection with the Celtic =
tutelary=20
beings<BR>&gt;notorious for child-snatching. What do they do with the =
children=20
they take?<BR>&gt;And surely they don't substitute a "changeling" of =
their own=20
for it.<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Good questions, I wonder too.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><BR>&gt;And that miraculous child is supposed to =
save=20
them?&nbsp; Wonder how?<BR><BR>Letting other's know what is happening on =
the=20
planet??<BR><BR><BR></DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Dennis/Endy<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://home.mindspring.com/~endymion9/index.htm">http://home.mind=
spring.com/~endymion9/index.htm</A><BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BF986E.996C4F60--