From: Jesper Svedberg <jesper.svedberg@mailbox.swipnet.se>
Subject: (urth) Re: Burns redeems himself
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 13:56:35 +0100

> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Nicholas=20Gevers?= <vermoulian@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Burns redeems himself
> Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 14:15:14 -0800 (PST)
>
> Millennium has just released the first half of THE
> BOOK OF THE NEW SUN in the UK under the title SHADOW
> AND CLAW, as the leadoff title in their Fantasy
> Masterworks series; SWORD AND CITADEL follows in
> December. SHADOW AND CLAW is a nicely-produced trade
> paperback, reprinting the UK hardcover text, which is
> much more readable than that in the Tor Orb edition.
> What's more, Jim Burns has provided a fairly
> impressive cover illustration, far superior to his
> SHORT SUN covers; it shows Severian somewhat in
> Pennington mode, against an effectively archaic urban
> backdrop. A welcome change.

Redeems himself? That cover easily plants itelf on my "worst cover
ever" list, it's amazingly ugly, his _OB'sW_ cover is much nicer.
I think they should use Pennington's old Shadow of the Torturer
cover, it pictures almost the same scene, but is infinetly more
atmospherical and beautiful.
What's the difference between the UK hardcover text and the test in
the Orb edition?
Are all the titles in Millennium's Fantasy and SF Masterwork series
trade paperbacks? (There are generally three different sizes of
paperback's in the UK it seems, one is the size of a normal massmarket
paperback, one is the size of a normal hardcover and the last one is
somewhere in between. Are we talking about the hardcover sized type
here?)

  // Jesper Svedberg