From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Nicholas=20Gevers?= <vermoulian@yahoo.com>
Subject: (urth) Typhon his fall
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 11:06:08

Mantis and Daniel Fusch are quite correct of course
about Typhon’s being besieged and ultimately helpless
on his mountain. But I still wonder at the ease of
this defeat: his starship captains may have fled, but
where were his loyal robot soldiers, his digitization
apparatus, all the other escape mechanisms he could
have called on? Couldn’t he summon even one lander to
take him away? Hmm. Typhon of Urth seems oddly
vulnerable compared with he who built the Whorl…

But all this is mere speculative detail. What I’ve
really been expressing is my conviction that Wolfe
intended an implicit causal and thematic link between
the New Sun and Long Sun cycles. The construction of
the Whorl impoverishes Urth; but millions of Urth’s
people escape aboard the Whorl to new worlds, avoiding
(for their descendants) the annihilation brought by
the New Sun. This could be read as some compensation
for the effective genocide wrought by Severian when he
created Ushas—in the form of Blue, there was already a
New Urth elsewhere.