From: "Alice Turner" <akt@attglobal.net>
Subject: (urth) Wolfe and Calvino
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 21:36:47

I agree with our new Danish member (welcome, Thomas, and please turn off that Rich Text feature for this list) that the Calvino influence, if any, is not so evident. Except for my half-joke that Pajarocu is an Invisible City, which it really is. Alex is (I think) right; IOAWNAT doesn't have any out-and-out sf refs or jokes in it (I've never thought of Italians, especially of his generation, as being into it)--still, it's the sort of book that I think might attract Wolfe. It was only a half-joke and those of us who are really conversant with Calvino (I have read some, even mini-reviewed one book, but I'm not) might think about this.

I also would call Wolfe a modernist rather than a post-modernist, except for some experimentation in a few of the stories (and no, I can't cite them off the top of my head). This could lead us into a labyrinth (hey, cool!).

-alga