From: Christy <cglst7+@pitt.edu>
Subject: (urth) Re: Posthumous
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:26:50

I haven't read *Strange Travelers* yet (it is en route from Amazon), but I
can say that the jag on living on after death is Swedenborgian. No doubt
at the behest of Jorge Luis Borges, we can assume that Wolfe has read some
of his material (*Heaven and Hell* is the most famous and interesting) and
is devoting some airplay to it. Swedenborg explains a system of thanatosis
that has appealed to many (most apparent is William Blake), and most
recently to M. Night Shyamalan, the writer/director of *The Sixth Sense*.
Watch that movie, or read Swedenborg's book, to ask the same horrible
question that Wolfe must have already asked himself: am I already dead?

					-C-