From: Richard Horton <rrhorton@prodigy.net>
Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v028.n135
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:19:28

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 12:10:32 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>In
>fact, I always thought some of the criticism of Wolfe here was misplaced--
>if you want to attack Wolfe for being misogynistic, it's not in the possible
>sympathy of the narrative for Emery's way of seeing things, but in the author's
>construction of Jan.

another writer often accused of misogyny is Kingsley Amis, and I read
his novel _The Russian Girl_ at about the same time I read "The
Ziggurat".  It struck me that the portrayal of the wives in the two
stories was striking: both are portrayed as quite thoroughly vicious.

(The Amis thing is complicated by reading about Amis' feelings about
his second wife, writer Elizabeth Jane Howard, though.)

--
Rich Horton | Stable Email: mailto://richard.horton@sff.net
Home Page: http://www.sff.net/people/richard.horton