From: "William H. Ansley" <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: (urth) The Death of Koshchei the Deathless
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 01:35:16

I found the story "The Death of Koshchei the Deathless" in _Strange
Travelers_ very entertaining. Although I could tell it was based on "fairy
tale" material. I didn't recognize that it was from a specific story until
I read the note at the end. The title did seem tantalizingly familiar until
I got to that point however.

_The Red Fairy Book_ by Andrew Lang is available on line, if anyone is
interested in reading the original story Wolfe based his on. It is
interesting to see what he kept and what he changed. The Lang version of
the story is also interesting in its own right. The story seems to have
been cobbled together from bits and pieces and the pieces don't all fit.

This URL should take you to a page that allows you to choose from variously
compressed versions of a text file containing _The Red Fairy Book_:

http://sailor.gutenberg.org/by-title/xx1352.html

This URL is a direct link to download an uncomressed text version of the
book (its about 663 kB):

ftp://sailor.gutenberg.org/pub/gutenberg/etext96/rdfry10.txt

William Ansley