From: mark millman <millman@us.ncipher.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) A Little Dotty? * is an Artifact
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:47:22

At 9:29 pm Wednesday 22 December 1999, "Talarican"
<chemmie@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Dan,
>> Hmmm, I always assumed the plate
>> read: M . Million
>>
>> Sometimes a dot is used to indicate
>> multiplication.  "Monsieur" is often
>> abbreviated to "M."
>
> You're right, of course. I would actually have
> preferred to more correctly use a "bullet" dot
> floating at mid-line height for this, but of course
> the email character set wouldn't support it, so
> far as I know.
>
> But that's how _I_ envisioned  what Number
> Five sees. His hungover revelation comes when
> he realizes that the dot is not a period but a dot
> at half-height in the line of text.
>
> I tried to approximate it with an asterisk, which
> of course is also used as a multiplication sign,
> esp. in most programming languages.

I just got back from a business trip to England, where I saw
people use a dot, not at half-height in the line, but at the bot-
tom of the line (just like a punctuation period), to indicate mul-
tiplication.  Whether this is also customary in France, or among
Francophone mathematicians, I can't say, but it seems possible.

Mark Millman