From: "Jim Henley" <jlhenley@erols.com>
Subject: RE: (urth) Black Hole Sun
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:06:45

I tend to think of them as home grown - Abaia as maybe the first giant (or
maybe just the guy who was _meaner_ than the first giant, if you get my
drift), and I'm really taken with the idea that Erebus is a "chem"/giant
robot/machine intelligence now. He might then be a leftover from
first-empire days. Why is he in Antarctica? Why, so the chips don't
overheat of course! <g>

Scylla and Arioch? Oh who cares. Let's face it - they just don't have the Q
Rating the other two do. It was a bad career move on Arioch's part to leave
Moorcock - he was a star there.

> One last thought: Has anybody questioned why a White Fountain
> would stop a black hole?

I can see it. A "white fountain" is a wormhole, which is (or was, I'm
hardly current) conceived of as the opposite of a black hole. On the theory
that black holes are drains into other universes and white holes are drains
_from_ other universes, one could imagine some physical interaction whereby
the white fountain adds more stuff than the black hole takes away. (At
first I thought they might just "cancel out," but that wouldn't be enough
because the sun needs rebuilding, not just an end to its consumption.)

Best,

Jim
"What fades in time                           Costello/
will hurt much more"                        Bacharach, "My Thief"