From: "William H. Ansley" <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) Father Inire is Jeeves
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 00:44:11

Alex David Groce <Alex_Groce@gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

>Continuing the "Tintin" post's tradition of offering spurious sources for
>Wolfe's ideas:
>
>"He has a way of suddenly materializing at one's side like one of those Indian
>blokes who shoot their astral bodies to and fro, going into thin air in
>Rangoon
>and re-assembling the parts in Calcutta.  I think it's done with mirrors."
>
>-P. G. Wodehouse, JOY IN THE MORNING

Aha! Another Wodehouse fan (or, at least, reader).

What other "Bertie Wooster Universe" (or we may need to widen it to the
whole "P. G. Wodehouse Universe") to "New Sun Universe" character mappings
can we do?

Well, if Father Inre is Jeeves then I suppose Severian is Bertie Wooster.
They share a tendency to miss things that seem obvious to the reader, at
least.

Agia = Roberta "Bobby" Wickham

Baldanders = D'Arcy "Stilton" Cheesewright

Abia = Aunt Agatha

Jonas = Gussie Fink-Nottle?

This is turning out to be not only one of my more pointless exercises, but
quite difficult as well. Wolfe and Wodehouse certainly differ widely (one
might say wildly) in style, subject matter and intent in their writing.

William Ansley