From: "Daniel Fusch" <dfusch@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re: Sundry
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:13:35 PST

(snip)
"Daniel Fusch" writes:

>Severian tells us, however, that torturers are not supposed to make
>decisions or judgements. Their task is blind, unquestioning obedience to
>the
>decisions passed down to them by the proper authorities. Severian even
>tells
>us that he feels extremely uncomfortable when placed in the position of
>judge, is that he has developed an extreme aversion to judging, so that he
>is glad when Foila keeps postponing the judgement.

(Charles writes)
Ah, but Severian changes during the course of TBOTNS.  One of his first
official acts as Autarch, in Chapter XXXIV of Citadel, is judgment of
the Guild's clients.  In a few cases, he overturns the sentences imposed
by the judges of the Commonwealth.  If Severian ever had a horror of
rendering judgments, I think he lost it somewhere along the way.

Well, that may be...but at the time of the storytelling contest, Severian
has an aversion to judging.

--Daniel