From: "Kevin J. Maroney" <kmaroney@crossover.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) More lies
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 18:16:57

At 04:49 PM 11/8/99 -0600, Roy wrote:
>Now, these are just a few examples I stumbled across without really trying,
>where Sev is either lying for no good reason that I can see, or, more likely
>(unless Wolfe is sloppier than I believe), where Wolfe is showing the reader
>that Sev's memory is less than perfect--or both.

Or that Severian slips up. Remember that his memory is not perfectly
organized; he describes in some detail the difficult process by which he
reconstructs his memories. Even if his memory is perfect in the way he
describes, it would not function in such a way as to protect him from
misstatements like those you listed.

Still, that's an interesting list.
Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney@crossover.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/olp/nyrsf/nyrsf.html