From: "Daniel Fusch" <dfusch@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) TBoTNS as Science and fantasy
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 18:13:31 PST

Jeremy:

(snip)
Many years ago Tim Maroney brought all this up on sf-lovers, namely that
TBoTNS was fantasy because "if Severian put his arm into a rainbow and
pulled out a butterfly, no-one would be surprised."

I don't agree with Maroney's comment on classification here, because you
could say the same of fable and myth, which are both distinct from fantasy,
and both of which Wolfe makes use of.

But I did want to say that that's quite a witty quote! I hadn't thought of
it that way, but come to think of it, if Wolfe had Severian reach into a
rainbow and pull our a butterfly, I wouldn't be surprised.

With Wolfe at the helm, you have to expect the unexpected. Quite literally!

Anyway, that quote brought a chuckle.

-Daniel