From: Alex David Groce <Alex_Groce@gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re: the superb level of discourse here
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 10:21:00

Patrick--

Well, part of my point in the whole modernism debate was that, because he
avoids their techniques, Wolfe is at the least pretty darn accessible for
a modernist.  While I like that kind of thing, I understand the people who
throw ULYSSES and THE SOUND AND THE FURY down and never pick them back up.

The main thing with Wolfe is, you DO have to pay attention.  Which some readers
aren't very keen on.  FREE LIVE FREE and those darned morning glories catches
a lot of people sleeping (although if you don't figure out what's going on
before "all is revealed" anyway you are not paying attention on a much bigger
level).

I'm really not a fan of the OBW cover.  On the other hand, the Long Sun covers
were OK, if nothing spectacularly good.  But they all look like *gasp* Science
Fiction Book Covers, which is honest advertising but not too good for getting
random non-SF people who would enjoy Wolfe to read him.

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+@cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department