From: "Daniel Fusch" <dfusch@hotmail.com>
Subject: (urth) Jim, about those scientists....
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 20:34:40 PST

Hi, Jim!

Superior evidence can be a decided advantage!

Actually, I was wondering exactly the same thing...are there any good
scientists in The Book of the New Sun? That is--scientists who aren't
burning children, eviscerating their captives, or sewing new heads on
people....

I don't remember any right off hand. Father Inire, physicist...but as you
said, he's the alien. And there's Master Ash, but he's more of a historian
than a scientist. I think.

I just remembered that in "The Sword of the Lictor," Severian speaks of the
scientists to whom people go when they want to become zoanthropes. Are these
good scientists or bad scientists? They'd be pretty awful in OUR society, I
imagine. But in Severian's society?

The curators in the Botanic Gardens are botanists, and they don't seem
malevolent. Their task is the preservation of extinct forms of plant life,
after all.

Yes, I guess the curators are the good scientists, then.

Hmmm, how come Severian always meets all the bad (or should I say "mad"?)
scientists?

Well, Jim, I would surmise that in Severian's age, there are no
government-funded scientists (or not many, anyway), and science is an
individual pursuit--often for individual gain. Presumably there are also a
few good scientists who are acting for the greater good of mankind, but they
seem to avoid Severian. It must be his torturer's outfit that scares them
away.

Oh, well.

--Daniel