From: "Ol' Pappy" <cglst7+@pitt.edu>
Subject: (urth) Re: Tales
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:21:14

Nicholas Gevers sez:

>2) I've speculated previously that THE BOOK OF THE NEW
>SUN IS "The Brown Book" (in addition to all the other

No, that can't be right. I like the sentiment, though. A friend of mine
who read the BOTNS suggested that the Brown Book and the Book of Gold are
the same: besides the obvious conflict of editions, I can't see that
either. Symbolically, sure.

My candidate for the most recent Brown Book is Borges and Bioy Casares'
*Extraordinary Tales*. It's out of print now, having been translated and
finished up by Herder and Herder in 1971 and suffering obscurity even
among Borges' own works. It fits Severian's exposition and the Brown
Book's own subtitle-- my first edition has featureless brown cloth
binding.

(My first edition, which is the only book I scrupled to steal from my old
college's library upon my departure. An act I made well with myself
because it hadn't been checked out since the Carter administration, and
which bears a romanticism that didn't register with me until recently,
even though I had read the series only two years previous to the theft)

O.P.P.