From: "Daniel Fusch" <dfusch@hotmail.com>
Subject: (urth) more on modernism (fair warning!)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:26:35 PDT

Alex,

Thanks for clarifying that. You're right; "Ulysses" and "The Sound and the
Fury" are the most frequently taught works of modernist fiction, although we
should probably add "Light in August" and make it a threesome.

(snip)
"It is certainly possible to be a Modernist and a science fiction writer,
and because of these concerns it is where Wolfe is probably best
categorized. But, for purposes of analysis, I actually think that how little
he uses the tools commonly associated with modernism is interesting."

I'll keep on insisting that the tools that one can use in modernism are as
variable as the individual authors are--and that the most often seen
examples (Ulysses and The Sound and the Fury) are simply the most extreme
examples of modernist experimentation. Faulkner has been known to write
books with normal sentence structure. And, of course, there are the plethora
of other modernist writers whose sentences are normal but whose styles of
narration are not. So to speak of how little Wolfe uses the tools commonly
associated with modernism is only to speak of how Wolfe does not sound like
Joyce or Faulkner. But Joyce and Faulkner are not the only modernist
writers.

Therefore, a modernist criticism of Wolfe can still be very insightful. Or
at least a criticism of the metafiction; I just find it hopelessly
interesting to examine Wolfe's investigation of the art of storytelling.

But having said all that, I realize I am probably arguing a moot point.
After all, I don't seem to be trying to convince anyone of anything other
than the fact that a modernist perspective on Wolfe's work can be
particularly interesting. But that is subjective; it may that a modernist
perspective is not particularly interesting to everyone else.

So...my apologies for torturing everyone with this long-winded discussion of
modernism. And my apologies (to echo alga) if I seem pompous.

As for Borges...I will seek out his work at once!

Now...what's this about racism?

Daniel