From: "Daniel Fusch" <dfusch@hotmail.com>
Subject: (urth) Narratives
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:55:41 PDT

William Ansley:

snip:
"We have some data to consider the question.  Severian repeats several
stories not of his own invention.  Do they show any of the same
idiosyncrasies as Severian's narrative?"

William:

No, they don't. They have their own idiosyncrasies. Each is different from
the others, in structure, narration, and form. (I'll talk more about this in
a few paragraphs.)

When you say that we have no evidence that the storytelling of Severian's
culture is significantly different from our own, I have to answer: Every
culture has its own species of storytelling. Homeric storytelling is
infinitely different from modern Euro-American storytelling (after all, the
epic begins in the middle of the story, and works both backwards into the
past and forwards into the future!). Native American storytelling is
different from Euro-American storytelling. Consider modernism and
metafiction as opposed to realist fiction. Also consider postmodern
narratives from African nations. You could argue that Achebe's "Things Fall
Apart" follows the structure of a Western narrative, but what about Ngugi's
work?

So narratives differ in structure and form even in the present. In "The
Sound and the Fury" there are four different narrators (five, counting the
Appendix). The first is autistic; the second is in the last stages of
suicidal psychosis; the third lies to everyone, including himself. The
reader is invited--required--to interpret the narrators. The reader can not
always take them at face value.

If Severian's time is far ahead in the future, with an entirely different
culture and social order, it would almost certainly have different standards
for storytelling. Its people would expect different things.

Indeed, in Severian's own time, there are different types of stories. There
is the story told by Loyal to the Group of Seventeen, for example. There is
Foila's story, which resembles a medieval romance. There is Melito's story,
which is like a classical fable. There is also Hallvard's story, which is
realism. Note that Severian never gets the chance to judge between these
stories; nor does he tell the reader what judgement he might make. The
implication is that all four are worthy. Consider that the Ascians invent a
mode of storytelling to work around Correct Thought. They adapt their
storytelling to fit their culture.

Also consider the stories in the brown book. The story of the student and
his thesis, for example, which Severian relates in "The Claw of the
Conciliator." This story starts out with one protagonist, then focuses on a
second, then returns to the first--and ends with a theme--indeed, with a
moralist statement--that seems disconnected from the rest of the work. This
story may well be "unsatisfactory" by contemporary standards of
Euro-American realist storytelling.

In the story of The Little Boy Called Frog, the plot bounces all over the
place! What does the end of the story have to do with the beginning of it?
Note, too, that the distance from the main character changes
throughout--until in the fifth section of the story, the narrator relates
future events in Frog's life very distantly, as if recounting a distant
history.

Severian's world is filled with extremely different types of narratives,
because it is filled with extremely different cultures. Remember, too, that
Hallvard, who is a realist storyteller, is disdainful of Melito's
storytelling, which is based on moral fables. Hallvard may well consider
Melito's story to be an "unsatisfactory" narrative.

Anyway, my point is that Wolfe is examining--and indeed, playing around
with--the structure and nature of storytelling. He presents us with
Severian, an unconventional narrator who is in many ways a modernist
storyteller, and Severian presents us with stories, tales, and fables that
differ radically in narration and in narrator. In one sense, Wolfe is
allowing us to survey the vast variety of storytelling methods. By not
having Severian pass judgement on the four stories in Foila's
contest--indeed, by removing the opportunity for Severian to judge them (the
contestants all die)--Wolfe is saying that ALL types of narrators are
satisfactory narrators, and that ALL styles of storytelling are satisfactory
styles, because storytelling is unique to the culture and it is also unique
to the individual. Storytellers with different backgrounds provide you with
different stories. Because the story is the work of the storyteller, you
will have as many different kinds of stories as you have different kinds of
storytellers.

With all this in mind, I rejoice in the fact that Severian is unreliable!
Severian's narrative puts my mind to work--and I, as a reader, have come to
expect intellectual stimulation from a story (I suppose one's judgement of
whether a narrative is "satisfactory" depends, in the end, on one's
expectations as a reader).

I don't think Wolfe has failed with this narration; I think he has succeeded
admirably.

That said, I hope to continue to examine Severian's unreliability and try to
pin down exactly what sort of narrator Severian is--just as I might examine
Jason Compson's or Quentin Compson's unreliability in Faulkner's "The Sound
and the Fury," in order to better understand the work and what the author is
trying to say about the human condition. --And, of course, to increase my
enjoyment of the work.

I hope this clears up my viewpoint a little,

Daniel Fusch