From: "Jim Henley" <jlhenley@erols.com>
Subject: RE: (urth) Re:Untrustworthy Narrators?
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 11:27:09

It's important to remember that we are dealing with an author of a genre
work here. The author is Severian and the genre is, as Tony suggests, the
memoir by which a ruler justifies his power and authority. The BOTNS
particularly is, in one sense, Sev doing the same thing he later does
before Tzadkiel's dais - explaining why he deserves to be where he is. I
_think_ that historical examples of the genre can also be reticent in quite
arbitrary ways about their author/subjects' personal lives.

IOW, it makes sense even if the author is not "hiding something," except
insofar as one considers any omission to be a "hiding."

Best,

Jim
"It ain't the knife thru your heart that tears you apart
  it's just the thought of someone sticking it in"
              -- Graham Parker, "Protection"