From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis@sirius.com>
Subject: (urth) Post Crossing Ahead
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:30:26

A little cross-posting.  Actually that was "Cross Posting Behind."

But I like the idea of a traffic sign showing posts crossing the road.

=====
ASTRON. EVENT     DATE      SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE EVENT
Vernal Equinox    Mar 20    Southern Hemisphere Autumn begins
Setsubun (then)   Mar 20-ish
mid-Spring        May  1    mid-Autumn
Lemuria           May
Summer Solstice   Jun 21    S. Hemisphere Winter begins
mid-Summer        Aug  1    mid-Winter
Autumnal Equinox  Sep 23    S. Hemisphere Spring begins
+Roy's Spade      Oct-ish   S. Hemisphere "Plough Moon"?
mid-Autumn        Nov  1    mid-Spring
Feast of Cath. A. Nov 25    last quarter of Spring
Winter Solstice   Dec 22    S. Hemisphere Summer begins
mid-Winter        Feb  1    mid-Summer
Setsubun (now)    Feb
====

Well now!  Lookee here!  We =can= have Hallowe'en in October (religious
calendar locked in astronomical sense rather than seasonal) and be early
Spring (where other cultures have had ghost holidays).

Naturally, this forces the Feast of Cath. A (if also locked in astronomical
sense) into late Spring!

Re: Wolf Moon, here's a tidbit--Wolfe used it as a pseudonym of a genre
writer in "From the Desk of Gilmer C. Merton."