From: "Alice Turner" <akt@ibm.net>
Subject: (urth) Flowers
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 07:32:38

> From: "Tony Ellis" <tony.ellis@futurenet.co.uk>
> What a fascinating article, Roy!
>
> I hadn't even finished it when I started thinking of the "sprawling
> angel's trumpets" which are the very last words of The Fifth Head of
> Cerberus. They work on various levels, of course, including a
> symbolic link to the silver trumpet vine of the opening paragraphs,
> but now I'm curious as to what (if any) meaning they have in
> florigraphy.

From Wyman's Gardening Encyclopedia:

Angel's Trumpet = Brugmansia

The leaves and seeds of this Peruvian  plant are poisonous. Sometimes grown
as an ornamental for its large, white, solitary, trumpet-shaped flowers, 10"
long. These have a musky odor, open at night, and have 5 twisted segments in
the corolla. The large grayish-green leaves are 8" long, thick, velvety and
are borne in pairs; one is a third shorter than the other.

-alga