From: Damien Broderick <damien@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Subject: (urth) Blish's CASE OF CONSCIENCE
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 14:26:43 +0000

From: "Nicholas Gevers" <potto@webmail.co.za>

< There's been a degree of controversy in the last couple of years about
the influence of Blish on later writers - Mary Doria Russell has been
accused of rehashing A CASE OF CONSCIENCE in her novels THE SPARROW
and CHILDREN OF GOD. But she's told me Blish played no such role. >

I've seen a comment of hers to that effect on the web, but still one has to
wonder.  Of all the Jesuits in all the cases of conscience in the galaxy,
how come JB names his Father Ramon Ruiz-Sanchez and MDR names hers Father
Emilio Sandoz?  This is the political unconscious as Jung.

I'd blame the big-eyed greys, myself.  (Has anyone tried exorcising *them*?)

Damen Broderick