From: "Mitchell A. Bailey" <MAB@lindau.net>
Subject: (urth) The Commotion at the Piteous Gate is a Mystery?!
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 13:53:41

Being a literal-minded, rather than a literary-minded sort, I never
considered the Piteous Gate business, as partially explained in the
opening chap of "Sword", as any great mystery.

I always figured that, as Palaemon had warned, the uhlans took their
duty literally and fanatically. The road begins right there, at the gate
of the Wall, and it's CLOSED, see? If you know what's good for you,
you'll turn off it just as you leave the Gate, which is what everybody
appeared to be doing. The burning coach in Sev's dream/memory had
apparently not done so.

"Hey buddy, what part of CLOSED don't you understand?! WHOOMP!"

Let me add my gratitude and kudos to Ranjit for the new archives and
site! It loads so much faster, too! Now maybe I can finish reading all
the archives before my eyes gutter in their sockets and avoid gaffes
like rehashing something Tony had already argued before I ever found the
archives.