From: "Ori Kowarsky" <orik@sprint.ca>
Subject: (urth) Deluge, Hierodules, Materialism
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 19:58:32

I'd like to thank everyone on the list for the warm welcome.  In particular,
thanks to alga for cluing me in on that HTML problem.  I apologise for
cluttering up the list with all that illegible nonsense;  my intention was
to clutter it up with legible nonsense.

Christoper R. Culver wrote:

"I think that the "judge" version of Tzadkiel, analogous to the Archangel
Michael, would be certainly be divine. Whether of not he receives
communication directly from the Pancreator is one of the more interesting
mysteries of _Urth_."

I approach TBOTNS and UOTNS from a materialistic point of view.  If the
elements of fantasy have an ultimately scientific rationale within the
context of the book, then so too should the religious elements.  If, for
example, Terminus Est is not a magical sword but rather a subtle and
ingenious mechanism, then I believe it is appropriate to apply the same
standards of proof to the larger machines -- even the deus ex machinae -- at
play.

I do not blieve that Tzad is remotely connected to the Archangel Michael, in
either motive or substance.  If he comes off like an angel on the Day of
Jugement this is a carefully orchestated effect, done for the benefit of Sev
and his personal, shall we say, demons.