From: "Alex David Groce" <adgroce@eos.ncsu.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) Sev as anti-hero
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:09:17

On Apr 12,  7:36pm, Kevin J. Maroney wrote:
> Subject: Re: (urth) Sev as anti-hero
> At 12:08 AM 4/6/99 -0500, Roy wrote:
> >But I still do not like Sev and have
> >trouble seeing him as Everyman--even a dark Everyman. Silk, Weer, and the
> >other figures you mention are much more sympathetic figures, whatever their
> >flaws, because they come closer to Everyman than Sev. They do not wield the
> >powers, temporal or supernatural, that Sev does. They do not have his
> >capacity for doing harm. mantis used the term "anti-hero" and I have to
> >agree with it. I could never identify with Sev, as I could with Weer or
> >Green or Silk or Free's boarders.
>
> Considering the trail of dead bodies Weer leaves behind him, I'm not sure
> that I *want* to identify with Weer. Wolfe's protagonists are not admirable
> or likable people, for the most part (the "Free" quartet being a very
> pleasant exception).

	Well, some of us aren't convinced that Weer is reponsible for anyone's
death other than (A) the boy on the stairs, and that's not exactly murder and
(B) maybe (there is someting sinister about it at any rate) the frozen-freezer
guy.  I think the "Weer as mass murder" hypothesis is most likely nonsense.
--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." - John 8:32