From: "Kevin J. Maroney" <kmaroney@crossover.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Sev as anti-hero
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 19:36:54

At 12:08 AM 4/6/99 -0500, Roy wrote:
>But I still do not like Sev and have
>trouble seeing him as Everyman--even a dark Everyman. Silk, Weer, and the
>other figures you mention are much more sympathetic figures, whatever their
>flaws, because they come closer to Everyman than Sev. They do not wield the
>powers, temporal or supernatural, that Sev does. They do not have his
>capacity for doing harm. mantis used the term "anti-hero" and I have to
>agree with it. I could never identify with Sev, as I could with Weer or
>Green or Silk or Free's boarders.

Considering the trail of dead bodies Weer leaves behind him, I'm not sure
that I *want* to identify with Weer. Wolfe's protagonists are not admirable
or likable people, for the most part (the "Free" quartet being a very
pleasant exception).

Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney@crossover.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/olp/nyrsf/nyrsf.html