From: Damien Broderick <damien@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Subject: (urth) Malacia
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:01:05 +0000

Nick Gevers suggested:

< what about Brian Aldiss' THE MALACIA TAPESTRY, which was published in
the mid-1970s? >

Jonathan Cape, 1976, but at least some of its parts were earlier, perhaps
in Damon Knight's notable Orbit original sf anthologies.

< hero, whose name is Perian (!) >

Still more (!), in the stories - alas, I've never read them -  I believe
his name was Prian.

< Aldiss told
Charles Platt (in THE DREAM MAKERS) that he was planning a Malacia
sequel; then Wolfe's Book appeared, and Aldiss did THE HELLICONIA
TRILOGY instead, as if TBotNS had pre-empted his Malacia scheme, >

Brian once told me that the book simply didn't sell well enough to justify
the planned sequels.  I wept and tore my garment and swore that it was the
finest book he'd ever written, and urged him to put art above mere filthy
lucre, but the man had a family and mansion to support and had to be
realistic.  The (rather sluggish) coincidence with BOTNS was just that, I
think.

Damien