From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re: Adam and Atom
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 16:59:08

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Alex David Groce wrote:

> On Apr 3,  7:19pm, Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> >     The Hierodules bow down to Severian. Why? He wouldn't even be on my long
> > list of candidates for world savior.
>
> On the other hand, as I think PEACE and BOTNS would suggest, Wolfe
> probably doesn't see Severian as an anti-hero, but as like a real man.  In
> this, I think there's a point--not an anti-hero, but a dark everyman.

You make a good case for why Wolfe would write about someone like
Severian, but I'm not sure it answers the question of why the Hierodules
would choose Severian as a savior.

Are you suggesting they have a similar agenda?  Perhaps Tad has a wager
with with Satan?  "Betcha I can even make a saint out of this guy." "A
torturer?  No way--yer on."

-Rostrum