From: David Duffy <davidD@qimr.edu.au>
Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v024.n020
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 15:43:14 +1000 (EST)

Has anyone seen the great photo of Wolfe in the recent collection called
(IIRC) "Fantasy Writers":  he is reclining on a couch wearing a Wolf
T-shirt;  a (pretty lupine) German Shepherd is sitting next to him.  I am
tempted to see it as a coat of arms (wolf couchant with...).

WRT Cabell, _Jurgen_ has a time travelling plot almost as complicated as
_TBotNS_, but starts rather than ends with a mention of a Redeemer.  Plus
Wolfe has never, as far as I have detected, included anagrams -- though both
authors have a penchant for literary allusion and poetry.  I think the
"naughty" Cabellian indirections should be seen as pokes at the censor
rather than "nudge, nudge" humour.  One is reminded of the Australian
poem of a similar era that starts: "The sunburnt --- stockman stood/in a
dismal --- mood./Apostrophised his --- cuddy,/The --- nag's no --- good..."

David Duffy.