From: "Clifford Drane" <dranec@hotmail.com>
Subject: (urth) Greetings and a thought
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 13:57:50 CST

I've been lurking around for the past 3 weeks, enjoying the posts and
the archives - so it's about time I introduce myself.

My name is Cliff Drane, a New Media Developer in Houston. I'm on my
second go-round of TBOTNS (Sev and Agia just entered the Jungle).
Between the list archive/postings and the re-read, I'm deep deep deep
into these books and their mysteries. In fact, I fear TBOTNS has spoiled
me - the intellectual stakes have been raised and other books are
failing miserably in comparison.

I've recommended the series to a couple of friends, the first of which
failed to catch ~90% of the nuances (which I, of course, wanted to talk
about) so she's decided to stop midstream and start over. Wish her luck.
:)

One topic I did want to touch on is a point made by a literary critic
(I've forgotten who) about The Lord of the Rings. He was very critical
of the mythmaking devices Tolkien used, ie. names and places mentioned
only once or in passing and in the context of that name/place being
extraordinarily important to Middle Earth. Tolkien did employ this, and
other 'superficial' means, quite a bit. I understand the devices, can
catch them when they happen, but don't get offended by them. It struck
me that Wolfe also employed the device in TBOTNS, but for the most part
the name/place/thing mentioned actually *is* important or can be
researched and debated as to their true meaning, which may have
subsequent meanings/relationships, etc. In TBOTNS there seems to be
substance behind the device.

Anyway, I thought I'm glad to be a part of the list and would enjoy any
added perspective to the above thought.

cd