From: "Roy C. Lackey" <rclackey@stic.net>
Subject: (urth) Re: C. Sappan
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:44:28

On Wed, 17 Mar 99 04:31:00 GMT, mantis wrote:

>>Huh.  I thought "C. Sappan" aka brazilwood aka "bresel wood" (when it
was first imported to medieval Europe) is aka "the East Indian
redwood" because its wood is a bright red in color and yields a red
dye.  (Yes, yes--the South American country was named after the Asian
wood, not the other way around.)<<

    Correct, but what I related from the OED about the root of C. Sappan is
also correct, just not relevant, apparently. What I meant to suggest is the
possibility that the location of the jungle, ambiguous in the text, might be
in Southeast Asia, where the French certainly had possessions. Robert was
schooled in Paris, after all.

>>FWIW I thought the hut was made of bamboo.<<

    I agree with you, FWIW.

Roy