From: Kieran Mullen <kieran@brigit.nhn.ou.edu>
Subject: (urth) Re:  Digest urth.v022.n046
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 10:44:25

>From: "William H. Ansley" <wansley@warwick.net>
>Subject: The Wonderful Eyeflash of Oz, part 4
>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 00:29:41 -0500

[Deletia]

>Hearing this, Little Tib tries to remember what a leopard looks like but
>cannot. He then tries to visualize a cat. At first he cannot, but then he
>succeeds and an image appears in front of him. But it is not a cat, but a
>lion standing on its hind legs with a red ribbon knotted in its mane. It is
>dancing and Little Tib joins it in the dance. After he has danced for some
>time he is grabbed from behind by many hands. He realizes that he has been
>dancing in the air over the lookout point, with a very long drop below him.

   This is Christic imagery, too.  From the temptation in the desert, where
the Devil quotes scripture about angels bearing up the messiah if he should
fall.  IIRC, Tib casts demons out of the computer system, no?

   I slapped my head when I finally saw that Typhon's temptations of
Severian are just a replay of the temptations of Christ. (Food, casting
from a height, all the cities stretched out before you if you submit
to me.  Doh!)

                      Kieran Mullen