From: "Tony Ellis" <tony.ellis@futurenet.co.uk>
Subject: Re: (urth) Stephanides, Questor
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:51:07 +0000

Mantis wrote:

> Adam said:

> Question 2: "I remain an agnostic about the existence of Severian1,
> as I said on the Urth list.  But if he did exist, and did go to
> Yesod, take the test and fail, why did he fail?

Why assume that Severian1 failed the test?

What "our" Severian tells us is that the first Severian went to Yesod, but did not
return, becoming instead a traveller of the corridors of time. Since "our" Severian
only gained this power as a consequence of becoming the New Sun, doesn't that
suggest that Severian1 became the New Sun too? That's how I've always read it.

Or am I missing something (again)?