From: "Alex David Groce" <adgroce@eos.ncsu.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) Severian's relationship with Thecla
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 01:27:55

On Jan 7,  4:46pm, xury@pacbell.net wrote:
>         Thinking about the cases in which Severian has lied, or at least
> confused his memory, I have come across an interesting point that I need
> some clarification with: Has Severian had carnal relations (or sex, for us
> simple minded) with the Chatelaine Thecla?

	That depends on the meaning of the word "is."
	No, seriously, unless Severian is lying, he did have sex with Thecla.
Best reference being (in my opinion) chapter XXXI ("The People of the Lake") in
SWORD, where Severian says "Pia and I spend the night on one of the floating
islands, where I, who had entered Thecla so often when she was unchained but a
prisoner, now entered Pia when she was still chained but free."
	As far as I can recall, this is the first (and only) definitive
statement by Severian that he and Thecla were lovers, although it is certainly
hinted at much earlier (as in the House Azure).

--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." - John 8:32