From: Nigel Price <NigelPrice1@compuserve.com>
Subject: (urth) Wright Rebuttal
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 19:29:29

(Sorry, there is some lupine comment in this posting, but there's a bit of
scene setting to be got through as well first...)

I recently sent off to America for Mantis' splendid collection of lupine
booklets.  He responded very quickly to my order, and the booklets arrived
here in Wiltshire, England, in yesterday's post.  Since then I have been
studying them with a great deal of pleasure, and accordingly decided to
write an e-mail to Mantis to thank him for being willing to share his
scholarship with other Wolfe enthusiasts in this way.

My message began as follows:

        Hi Michael!

        Just to let you know that your consignment of Gene Wolfe
        booklets arrived safely in yesterday's post and I've been
        greedily devouring their contents ever since.  Thank you
        for making the fruits of your long labours available to
        others in this way.

        I was particularly impressed by your synopsis of TBotNS
        and TUotNS.  Reading it all through brought back a little of
        the sheer joy and wonder of Wolfe's convoluted, and, indeed,
        involuted narrative.  Time and again, my reaction was
        something along the lines of, "So *that's* what happened
        - that's what I *thought* happened, but it seemed so strange
        that at the time I read it that I wondered whether I'd
        misunderstood!"

        I have recently been corresponding with <very kind and
        scholarly member of the Urth and Whorl lists> and he has
        been kind enough to send me copies of various reviews
        and critical essays on Wolfe, and amongst these was a
        copy of your piece in Foundation 66, entitled
        "Gene Wolfe at the Lake of Birds".  I very much enjoyed
        reading this, and found your tracing of the various
        interwoven references and allusions in "The Shadow of
        the Torturer" most illuminating.

        In contrast, I found the two extracts from Peter Wright's
        thesis on Wolfe that were published in the same edition
        of Foundation much more problematic...

Ever prompt, Mantis replied this evening as follows:

        Thanks for all your comments on "Lake of Birds" and
        Peter Wright's essays!  Please consider posting them to
        the list, especially the Wright stuff, since more-than-you-
        might-guess have read those essays (and =everybody=
        should have a copy of "Foundation No. 66," yet
        without a doubt there are some who know not of its
        existence) and who knows, they might be prodded into
        coughing up some sort of dialog.

        Since you've already done the writing it is easy to upload,
        and you can share your work.

OK, this is what I wrote:

        In contrast (to Mantis' essay on The Lake of Birds), I found
        the two extracts from Peter Wright's thesis on Wolfe that
        were published in the same edition of Foundation much
        more problematic.  Although there was much to admire,
        especially, for instance, in his discussion of the way that
        Severian's "perfect" memory serves to overwhelm
        significant information with an excess of circumstantial
        and associative detail, I was ultimately unconvinced by
        his theory that the book is a disguised account of a
        cosmic evolutionary conspiracy.  Clearly, he is right to
        emphasise the role of the hierogrammates and their
        plans as shaping forces behind many of the events of
        Severian's narrative, and I agree that the references to plays
        and puppetry throughout the narrative are highly
        suggestive of the covert manipulation going on.

        For all that, Wright's analysis seems far too reductive.
        In stressing Severian's suitability for becoming the
        progenitor of the New Sun because the hieros
        produced the hierogrammates by "torturing" other
        species, he seems to ignore the fact that Severian was
        a failure as a torturer.  That, after all, was why he was
        exiled from his guild in the first place.  His life is
        characterised by humanity as well as rigour, and surely
        it is this balance that ultimately qualifies him for both
        the office of Autarch and his ultimate destiny as bringer
        of the New Sun.

        Again, Wright correctly emphasises that the coming of
        the New Sun results in Urth's destruction through
        inundation, but ignores both the terminal decadence
        and decline of Urth society and the fact that it is in any
        case doomed to imminent extinction anyway when the
        old sun finally dies, as the view of the "Ragnarok"
        timeline from the Last House makes clear.  Wolfe has
        spoken in interviews of Urth's decline as brought about
        by a failure of ambition, energy and moral courage.
        Urth of the Commonwealth is a society in the grip of
        social as well as physical entropy.

        Wright's interpretation of Severian's story is that it shows
        how religious and mythological narrative and imagery are
        cynically exploited by an alien race who use Severian as
        their puppet and destroy Urth in order to ensure their own
        creation.  I would say that the narrative is much more
        ambiguous than that.  Part of Wolfe's achievement seems
        to be to show how religious and mythological structures
        can be embodied in rational structures of physical cause
        and effect without losing their mythical or religious
        significance.  If Severian ensures the existence of the
        hierogrammates, he does also save the Urth from heat
        death and extinction.  If the "second coming" of the
        Conciliator is the result of time travel, then it is still a real
        parousia, and genuinely results in a judgement and the
        effective creation of a new heaven and a new earth - or
        "Urth".

        <Spoiler warning for anyone who has not yet read the
        Long Sun series!>

        In so far as Wolfe's other works can, as Wright asserts,
        be regarded as commentaries on Severian's story, then
        it seems significant that in the Long Sun books, while
        Silk discovers that the religion that is so important to him
        is as manufactured as the world/Whorl in which he lives,
        he also receives enlightenment from The Outsider, who
        may well be the "real" God of Christian belief.  The Book
        of the Long Sun is about a false and corrupt religion and
        its use to manipulate the populace who form the Whorl's
        "cargo".  But it is also about real faith, and Silk's role in
        "saving" his people and bringing them to a better place.
        The mythical and the literal themes exist in constant
        juxtaposition, but rather than subvert each other, they
        reinforce one another.  In Wolfe's fiction, reality is shot
        through with the significance that it gains from its mythic
        resonances, while those same myths are in some
        sense realized and fulfilled in the everyday events of the
        narrative.

        That's certainly how I regard The Book and The Urth of
        the New Sun.

        Stressing the obfuscatory role of Severian's memory also
        fails to give credit to the sheer power of the naturalistic
        dimension of Wolfe's narrative.  I've always found his
        attention to describing the small and most mundane
        details of ordinary life deeply moving and strangely
        humane amongst much that is often alien and bizarre in
        the extreme.

To all this, Mantis commented:

        Wright's work is good.  I think I agree with you in differing
        with his vision of the whole, and in some details, but he
        presents it well and backs up everything with text (which
        means our differences of opinion often arise out of the
        vexing morass of "interpretation").  He seems to steer the
        Urth Cycle into the Machievellian territory of Herbert's DUNE
        series (but maybe that only came to mind because there
        was an essay in the same issue about Herbert's
        Machievellian themes!) rather than, say, the PK Dick
        region of "Gnostic Truth breaks through."

        (Oh look, another Synchronicity Wave is breaking--
        vizcacha is suddenly talking about Clute's "Catherine the
        Weal"--good time to act, now.)

        Plus you really ought to post a list of your recent readings in
        essays on Wolfe, just to spread the info on what is there, and help
        prod those people (other than myself, honestly!) who desire to
        compile annotated bibliographies of secondary material.

        Keep up the good work!

Thus encouraged, therefore, I have posted the above for general
consideration, and give my recent lupine reading as follows, with due
thanks to generous photocopiers of reviews and articles (they know who they
are!):

        Mantis' (Michael Andre-Driussi) "Lexicon Urthus"
        and three individual pamphlet volumes of
        "Additions, Errata &cetera"; his indispensible
        "Synopsis of the Narrative of Severian the Great";
        his two booklets "Languages of the Long Sun Whorl"
        and "Characters of the Long Sun Whorl"

        Colin Greenland's review of "The Shadow of the Torturer"
        and "The Claw of the Conciliator" in Foundation 24.

        Douglas Barbour's review of "The Sword of the Lictor"
        in Foundation 26.

        Paul Park's review of "Nightside the Long Sun" and
        "Lake of the Long Sun" in Foundation 60.

        Michael Andre-Driussi's essay (Mantis again!)
        "Gene Wolfe at the Lake of Birds" in Foundation 66.

        Peter Wright's essays "God-Games: Cosmic
        Conspiracies and Narrative Sleights in Gene Wolfe's
        The Fictions of the New Sun" and "Grasping the
        God-Games: Metafictional Keys to the Interpretation
        of Gene Wolfe's The Fictions of the New Sun" in
        Foundation 66.

        John Clute's collected essays on Gene Wolfe in his
        his book "Strokes"

        Larry McCaffery's essay and interview with Gene Wolfe
        in "Across the Wounded Galaxies: Interviews with
        Contemporary American Science Fiction Writers"

        And, newly arrived from Amazon this morning...
        "Gene Wolfe: Urth-Man Extraordinary: A Woking
        Bibliography by Phil Stephensen-Payne and
        Gordon Benson, Jr."

I've also been downloading various interviews and articles from the web,
but I need to compile a separate list for them.  The "Cave Canem" site has
been a fascinating source of essays and lexicographical information on "The
Fifth Head of Cerberus".

Regards

Nigel Price
Minety, Wiltshire