From: m.driussi@genie.com
Subject: (urth) inscriptions
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 98 01:57:00 GMT

Matthew Freestone and Gordon Brain,

Re: Marble Arch(es), inscriptions, Hyde Park.  I'm curious what clues
might be on the arch(es), but it is probably too much work for too
little.  So call off the search!

Here's a Latin inscription that seems to be from a building facing
roughly south or west, in the general Hyde Park area (or an alternate
reality Hyde Park area):

IAM*REDIT*ET*VIRGO*REDEUNT*SATURNIA*REGNA

As you all know, I don't understand Latin.  After some study, this
line looks to me to be something like "Now [blank] and Virgin they
return the reign of Juno."

But "redit" can mean "the matter comes up again," making the line
"Now the matter comes up again and the Girl/Maiden they return to the
throne of Juno" (Girl Power! <g>).

If this inscription is real, I'd like to know about the
building/monument it adorns.  In any event, I encourage those who
know Latin to tell me what it says!