From: Matthew Freestone <matthew@matthewf.demon.co.uk>
Subject: (urth) arches
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 19:18:51 +0000

Mantis,
>I'm looking for a Latin inscription on a marble arch, probably either
>the Marble Arch or the Wellington Arch (commemerating Waterloo?),
>both on the borders of Hyde Park.
A quick check in the (usually excellent) London Encyclopedia and a
couple of other guide books reveals no mention of inscriptions on either
arch. There's a picture of Marble Arch in the encyclopedia, and no
inscription is visible on that either (but it's a small picture, only
shows one side etc) but it's hardly conclusive. Anyone have better guide
books, or live a bit nearer the centre?

You say probably - do you have other arches in mind too?

cheers,
Matt Freestone                  II    zzz. /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_.
matthew@matthewf.demon.co.uk    II        |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
www.matthewf.demon.co.uk/       II       '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)