From: raster@highfiber.com (Charles Dye)
Subject: Re: (urth) AE&3
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 18:25:46

mantis challenges:

>But anyway, your point being that the brown book at that
>wind-in-the-leaves moment acts like an oracle (at least), in the same
>way that the Vatic Fountain works.  So then, your challenge <g> is to
>find a few of the other tidbits, like:
>
>"soulless warrior!" and "lucid yellow"

I have not been able to locate either phrase.  "Soulless warrior," if
I really wanted to stretch a point, might refer to the Ascian armies,
and "lucid yellow" to the forthcoming New Sun.  But it feels more
natural to me to assume that these are bits from someone else's stories.

Another peculiar snippet is revealed in Chapter XXVIII of "Sword":

"[Again] she leaped, and twisting round the columns of the carapace...."

Which reminds me rather strongly of one of Number Five's dreams in
Fifth Head.  Curiouser and curiouser.

raster@highfiber.com