From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re:  (urth) Jaynes and Wolfe
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:56:10

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 CRCulver@aol.com wrote:

> Alga wrote:
> <Interesting, for instance, Silk's blind faith in his Outsider>
>
> But Wolfe has said that the Outsider is "a spiritual god," which to me means
> the Outsider is the Pancreator.

There's a big difference between Wolfe telling us that he personally
interprets the Outsider as a real "spiritual god" and the narrative
forcing that conclusion upon us.  One of the best things about many of
Wolfe's stories is that it's possible to read them with purely
materialistic presuppositions or with Wolfe's religious ones.  It's very
gentlemanly of him.

In contrast, try reading C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy and explaining the
events materialistically.

-Rostrum