From: "Alex David Groce" <adgroce@eos.ncsu.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) Julian Jaynes' Bicameral Brain
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:36:37

Mothman said:
> Subject: (urth) Julian Jaynes' Bicameral Brain
> Has Julian Jaynes' theory expressed in "The Origin of Consciousness in the
> Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" ever been discused in relation to Wolfe's
> "Soldier of the Mist?"  If I read it right, Jaynes beleives that self
> consciousness didn't develop until about 500 B.C. and that any internal
> voices, motivations, or initiative, prior to this thinking shift, would have
> been attributed to Gods -- that in the Iliad, when the gods speak they are
> only heard by the heroes they are speaking too -- this is what makes humans
> act.  Sounds like the situation the character in Wolfe's book finds
> himself -- hallucinating gods, being at their mercy, no real concept of
> having a say in what's going on around him. Maybe not...

	I don't think we've discussed this, but it sounds as if Wolfe might
have had it in mind.  On the other hand, I think Latro actually has a fairly
developed self-consciousness (at least of the same peculiar kind as Severian,
his mnemonic opposite, has)--it seems that there IS a line between the gods and
the self to be found.  For example, his desire to get home seems to be a tool
the gods use to manipulate him--hardly possible if he had no self to dangel a
carrot in front of.
--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." - John 8:32