From: Dan Parmenter <dan@lec.com>
Subject: (urth) reservoir tipped
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:54:47

From: "Mike" <lsanto@concentric.net>

>                       The blade is inspired by an actual "weapons" (tool
>is more like it), the rounded tip is from French executioners blades (as
>used on Ann Boleyn--sp?). The internal reservoir filled with mercury comes
>from Chinese BCE era executioners swords. Both apparently worked quite well
>for their respective tasks.

Mike, didn't you once tell me (off-list) that Wolfe had at one point
cited a specific reference work on an actual family of medieval
executioners?  I'm spacing on anything useful like a name or an
author.

From: "Kieran Cleary" <kierannwn@tinet.ie>

>isn't the tip of TE flat?  Interesting about the Chinese swords.

Yes, another of the many "Chinese" features of the series.

I always found it interesting that Wolfe used the canonical
torturer/executioner image (bare-chested, hooded, sometimes cloaked)
but eschewed the customary axe.  Or am I mistaken?  Is the "canonical"
torturer just as likely to be equiped with a sword as an axe?

Where did this image originate?

Dan, who is still actually trying to come up with a good "Whorl"
name.  Currently toying with "Shellac" (made from the excretions of
the Laccifer lacca, and thus, seemingly as valid as "Silk").