From: "Alice Turner" <al@interport.net>
Subject: (urth) Severian
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 11:25:47

I went to the Catholic Encyclopedia- http://www.knight.org/advent/ - to see
more about Severian, but the article has not yet been transcribed.

Bear with me a moment while I rhapsodize about the 1913 Catholic
Encyclopedia, now, lucky for us, in public domain, and in the process of
being transcribed in its enormous entirety onto the web. Compared to this
treasure of 19th century scholarship, the New Catholic
Encyclopedia--feh!--is a pallid thing, shorn of weirdness and wonders, and
ever so politically correct.

The transcription is done entirely by volunteers. If any of you has access
to a university library with the CE (the site helpfully lists locations for
you) and a scanner, you will build up merit in the next life by helping them
out. Not only that, they will list your name at the end of each article
(they have a list of these waiting too). You can be immortal as the one to
transcribe Severian!

-alga