From: Jack Lyons <revjack@radix.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re:  Digest urth.v018.n007
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 06:58:33

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Kieran Mullen wrote:

:Peter Grimes <grimes@waste.org> writes:
:
:>Ugh, I just can't let this go by unremarked.  Illuminatus is garbage
:>writing...       [Stuff
:>                    Deleted]                 ....  Robert Anton Wilson and
:>his co-conspirator are just not terribly good writers.
:
:   Very well put and very true.  It is painful to see Wolfe and Wilson
:compared.

Well, it's like comparing a rubber chicken to a Rodin
scuplture. Both do have their uses, and I enjoy them both,
though rarely together.

As far as women in Wilson's book go - I seem to recall that
Miss Portinari wasn't a sex object, and in fact had the
mantle of Leader of the Illuminatus abdicated to her in the
end, no small feat. I should also note that while nearly all
of the women in ILLUMINATUS are indeed caricatured as sex
dolls, the men get far worse treatment as dolts and morons.
Take your pick which offends you more.

I treat Focault's Pendulum as an entertaining prose history
book, a mixture of book types in the same way MAUS mixed
history and comics. Eco was having *fun*. Lighten up. :)

Of course now that we have mentioned *three* books we can
posit a Trinity connection...perhaps the rubber chicken
represents the Host...

--
revjack@radix.net