From: "William H. Ansley" <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re:  Weer's Death, and J.L. Borges
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 00:38:56

Christopher R. Culver <crculver@aol.com> said:

>Peace includes a great deal of Jorge Luis Borges' influence, and seeing it
>here can illuminate how it was later used in the Book of the New Sun.
>One Borgian influence I think is particularly strong is the labyrithine
>symbolism of Weer's house (which I'm assuming is part of his postmortem
>imagination and doesn't actually exist).

I prefer to believe that the house does/did exist and it did have "museum
rooms" replicating important rooms in Weer's life. But, I think the real
house certainly wasn't the shifting thing Weer describes in the book, with
rooms moving about and appearing and disappearing. Building a house with
museum rooms would be a peculiar thing to do, but Weer was a peculiar guy.

William Ansley