From: CRCulver@aol.com
Subject: (urth) Weer's Death in Peace
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 01:36:20 EDT

William Ansley said:
<It is as certain as anything can be in a Wolfe book that Weer is dead...from
internal evidence...>

I don't think so...

And continued:
<...and because Wolfe has said so.>

...but it looks like I'm wrong <g>

And said:
<Maybe I'll reread _Peace_ again>

I assume _Peace_ is like all Wolfe novels in that whole new shades of meaning
blossom with each rereading. I hope to learn more the second time around than
I did the first. I guess I'll start on it again after I finish Dan Simmons'
Hyperion quartet which, incidentally, contains several influences from Wolfe,
IMHO.

I've found, on the Compuserve Wolfe interview, what I was looking for, in that
a fan asks if Weer killed Lois:

"davelant: Mr. Wolfe, did Alden Dennis Weer kill the librarian, and bury her
in the dry creek bed?"

And Wolfe unfortunately responded:

"GeneWolfe: Weer: You are going to have to figure that one out for yourself.
I don't tell that kind of stuff."

Just my luck...

Christopher R. Culver <crculver@aol.com>
http://members.aol.com/crculver/index.html
"The darkest dreams are the ones that come true."
-Warren Defever