From: mary whalen <marewhalen@yahoo.com>
Subject: (urth) Notule
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 21:25:22

This is Sean Whalen (prion).

Here are the results of my exhaustive research into notules.  If this
is actually what Wolfe meant, I'm actually stupefied to the extent
he'll go for a silly pun.

Notule is French for a short note, comment, or minute. It comes from
Latin notula, the diminutive of nota (mark, token, note, sign).  A
notula is a distinguishing mark or a mark of punctuation.  If a notule
is supposed to resemble a vampire bat, the latter leaves a
distinguishing mark:  a mark of puncturation.  Shudder.

Robert Borski has also previously reported that a noctule is a red bat
(Nyctalus noctula).  I've also found that it is the diminutive of
notus (meaning well-known, famous), the diminutive of Notus (the south
wind).  Notum is also the back part of an insect thorax.

prion