From: mary whalen <marewhalen@yahoo.com>
Subject: (urth)  Tracking Song
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 22:27:47

This is Sean Whalen (prion).

I recently reread Tracking Song and have seen some points that I don't
think have been addressed earlier.

First, at the very beginning of the story, Cutthroat says that he's
using the device to record his words so that if someone comes for him
and he's dead, they'll understand what happened to him, and "I feel
that someone may, though I do not know why."  This seems to be a
precognition of what happens at the end of the story, and perhaps
shows that he did die at the end.

Second, I'm fairly sure that he's not an animal-person dressed in a
Sleigher's clothes, as he remembers parties, etc., knows how to use
some of his equipment, and isn't familiar with the plant and animal
life in the area.

I don't know how I missed this before, but Cutthroat clearly calls the
insulated clothing he's wearing "the captain's coat."

prion