From: "William H. Ansley" <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) solar labyrinth
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 22:33:13

Damien Broderick wrote:

>Further to the labyrinthine question, John Clute responds:
>
>>        The sentence in question, which was certainly written by me,
>>appears in the 1993 text form of the SFE as well. I'm [travelling
>>and]  a long way from sources, and can't for the life of me
>>remember why I said it, beyond its seeming to be true..
>>      Michael Andre-Driussi [...] may either be able
>>to scotch the rumour I started, or confirm my innate and readily apparent
>>wisdom.
>
>Clute will be at Readercon any day now, for those of you within striking
>distance of Boston.  *sigh*

Damien,

Even though the result wasn't all that informative, I want to thank you for
going to the trouble of asking John Clute and Peter Nicholls about the
passage I quoted to try to get an answer to my question about it.

I must also say I am impressed with the circle of your acquaintances in the
SF world.

Although I am not at all surprised, it is also impressive to have one of
the editors of _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ confirm that our
mantis is *the* guy when it comes to settling obscure points about Gene
Wolfe.

William Ansley