From: mary whalen <marewhalen@yahoo.com>
Subject: (urth) Re:  Black hole vs. wormhole
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 23:08:35

This is Sean Whalen (prion).

I've just thought of some new evidence for the thing at the center of
Urth's sun not to be a black hole.

Do you know what a quasar or active galactic nucleus is?  It's a black
hole that is absorbing a large amount of mass by sucking in
neighboring stars.  As the gravity draws the matter toward it at an
increasing speed, the matter bunches up together at high (near light)
speed.  As it presses together, it is eventually so pressurized that
the atoms fuse in huge numbers and release energy.  The energy
released in this way that is not pointing toward the black hole
escapes, and we see the light (and other radiation) given off with
telescopes.

This same process occurs with a black hole of any size that is
absorbing mass.  When there's much more mass than there is hole, a lot
of mass is involved in the process.  The fusion caused by this would
cause an explosion, assuming the hole didn't grow big enough for it to
absorb all the rest of the mass before the energy can make it through
the mass (which I think it would probably be able to do).

This same process happens in large suns that die.  When a large star
is "alive," it is undergoing fusion in its core.  When the core has
been fused into iron, no more energy is gained by fusing the iron into
large molecules, energy is absorbed instead.  When this happens, the
star's gravity is still pulling the star toward the center, but the
core is releasing no energy that's pushing out.  The core fuses more,
absorbing gravitational energy.  It becomes so massive, it pulls the
core together until the protons and electrons in it's atoms actually
are fused together themselves into neutrons.  THIS fusion releases a
lot of energy.  It causes a supernova.  The outer part of the star is
blown away by the energy, along with much of the fused and unfused
matter near the core.  What remains of the core is a neutron star.

If an even more massive star has fused its core into iron, the gravity
pulling in is so powerful it immediately forms a black hole at the
center.  The outer layers rush toward this gravity center so quickly
that much of it fuses and releases a lot of energy.  This is a more
powerful supernova (I believe it's called a hypernova, but I don't
remember for sure).

If the star is even more massive, the black hole that forms from the
core is so massive it sucks all the rest of the star into it so
quickly that almost no energy  escapes.  In this case, no supernova
occurs.

prion